MAJOR POINTS FROM WIKE’S MEDIA CHAT ON PDP CRISIS
Rivers Governor Nyesom Wike held a media chat for almost two hours today Friday September 23, 2022. During the chat he addressed many issues rocking the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
Here are major takeaways from the chat that held many spell-bound:
1. The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) led the foundation for the crisis when it jettisoned zoning principle contained in its Constitution. The Presidential ticket was supposed to have been zoned exclusively to the South.
2. The PDP National Chairman, Dr. Iyorchia Ayu, is not a trustworthy character. He promised to resign if a Northern presidential candidate emerged, but had refused to fulfill his promise despite the emergence of Atiku Abubakar.
3. The convention that produced Atiku Abubakar was highly compromised and flawed by the actions of Ayu. He said: “It would have ended in crisis if not for the love I have for the PDP.”
4. Ayu deployed intimidation and abused his office when he convened many meetings in the houses of retired generals. The meetings, according to Wike, were ” to ensure that I did not emerge the flag bearer of the party. He even vowed to resign if I should win the party’s ticket.”
5. PDP presidential canndidate, Atiku Abubakar, is not a trustworthy character. He lacks integrity. Wike alleged: “He visited me after his emergence and promised that Ayu would resign, but he failed to actualise it. He also met us in London and promised that Ayu must go but we were surprised that he went to a gathering and cited constitutional issues.”
6. PDP is arrogant and needs restructuring. The Governor claimed: “A party that is in the opposition and serious to win an election cannot be as arrogant as the PDP. If the PDP cannot restructure itself to correct the marginalisation in the PDP, Nigerians are now doubting the party’s capacity to unite the country.”
7. Atiku is surrounded by those without much political value. “Those asking the party to sanction me especially Waziri from Yobe State lack electoral values. Since 1999, PDP has never won Yobe,” he stated.
8. PDP cannot dare sanction, let alone suspend me. “I dare the party to sanction me. They should do it. Who will sanction me? Those, who left the party cannot sanction me. If they do it, they know what I can do,” he warned.
9. No backing for Atiku until demand are met. “If at the end, the party refuses to meet our demand, we will meet again to take a decision on our next strategies for the election. Haven’t you seen where a senatorial candidate lost in an area while the governorship candidate from the same party won in that same place?”
10. There is nothing that justifies Ayu remaining in the office. Ayu should demonstrate that he loves the PDP by resigning. The NEC can meet and take the decision and later rectify it in a convention after the election.
Police Arrest Father Impregnates Daughter
Ogun police arrests 43-year-old man for allegedly impregnating his 19-year-old biological daughter and asking her to claim her boyfriend impregnated...
NiMet WARNS OF POSSIBLE THERMAL DISCOMFORT
NiMet WARNS OF POSSIBLE THERMAL DISCOMFORT The Nigerian Meteorological Agency has warned of possible rise in temperature across some cities...
Labour Party Governorship Aspirant In Imo Found Dead After Picking N25million Form
Labour Party Governorship Aspirant In Imo Found Dead After Picking N25million Form The aspirant died in his house in Lagos...
Lagos election: Igbos will never again allow killings – Iwuanyanwu
Lagos election: Igbos will never again allow killings – Iwuanyanwu By Wale Odunsi A Southeast leader, Chief Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu, has...
Appeal Court sets aside tribunal judgement, upholds Adeleke as Osun Gov
Appeal Court sets aside tribunal judgement, upholds Adeleke as Osun Gov The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja has set...